By: Sydney Morehart
How to Chose the Right Home Health Care Provider for You:
Deciding that you want or need to enlist the help of a Home Health Care provider is a difficult task. Once you have decided that Home Health Care is the best path for you and your loved ones then comes the equally trying task of picking the right provider for you.
Perhaps the best way to come up with a list of Home Health Care providers is to:
- Ask your doctor, nurse, hospital discharge planner, friends, neighbors, and family for references
- Check out Medicare’s Home Health Care Compare Tool, click here for a link.
- Use the Internet to search for Home Health Care agencies in your area. Search key phrases like ‘home care’ or ‘home health care’ with your area care is going to be provided. For example one search could be ‘home care Denver Colorado’.
- Consult the Yellow Pages
Once you have a list of agency names, it’s time to start asking questions to figure out who is the best fit for you and the needs of your family.
Considering asking some of these questions:
- How long as this agency been in business?
- What are the services provided? What services will they not provide?
- How does the agency come up with a care plan? How involved do they expect the patient’s family to be?
- What are the caregivers’ skill levels? What kind of training do they have? Does the agency require continued education for their caregivers?
- What are the payment options?
- Who owns and manages the agency? How involved are they? Will there be someone to oversee my care?
- How does this provider select and train its employees? Does it protect its workers with written personnel policies, benefits packages, and malpractice insurance?
Now that you have narrowed down the number of agencies you are interviewing, ask the remaining home care providers for a list of references, such as doctors, discharge planners, patients or their families, and community leaders familiar with the provider’s quality of service.
Here are a few questions to consider asking references:
- Do you frequently refer clients to this provider?
- What sort of feedback have you gotten from patience receiving care from this provider?
- Do you know of any clients receiving care for a similar condition as I do or my loved one? If so, can you put me in contact with these individuals?
While interviewing potential providers, make your expectations and needs clear from the beginning. Ask questions to get to know the potential hire better. Make a decision based on your overall impression of the provider.
The National Association of Home Care and Hospice, NAHC, has comprised an extensive list of questions to ask any potential Home Health Care provider.
The most important thing is to ask questions. Ask as many as you would like. We understand that this is a difficult period. Our role as a Home Health Care provider is to ease the stress of this difficult time. Finding the right fit for your needs doesn’t have to be difficult.
Sevens Home Care will do our very best to meet the needs of you and your loved ones. We meet the highest industry standards in training and insurance coverage. We have a strong support system for our clients and care givers with regular monitoring to ensure the best and safest environment for everyone.
Contact Us today for an individualized care plan tailored to fit your specific needs.